As a property owner, it’s no surprise that commercial buildings require a lot of maintenance and attention. Keeping up with routine maintenance can prevent costly repairs in the future. When temperatures plummet in Montana, building owners can follow this simple maintenance checklist to ensure their building is prepared for winter and safe from the elements.
Winter Maintenance Checklist for Commercial Properties
Check the Plumbing
Keeping pipes from freezing will help them from bursting and causing a wet mess that you will need to clean up.
- Check exterior pipes. They are outside in the elements and most prone to freezing. If these guys show signs of freezing, take steps to keep them warm.
- Use insulation to wrap the pipes and prevent them from freezing.
- Check exterior pipes for any signs of cracks and repair them immediately.
- Keep interior temperatures above 55 degrees to prevent pipes from freezing. Tenants should be instructed to do the same.
Inspect the HVAC System
How is the heating working? The colder it gets outside, the harder your heater is pushing itself. If not cleaned and maintained properly, this can lead to increased energy bills!
- Check all vents for cracks and inefficiencies in the heating system.
- Check blowers and hoses for any issues and blocks.
- Replace filters.
- If you notice any odd sounds coming from the vents, have these inspected by a professional immediately.
Prepare for the Winter Weather
In Billings, and the surrounding areas of Montana, we know what type of weather winter brings. Ice, snow, wind, and freezing cold. As a building owner, you have to be prepared for all types of weather and respond accordingly as quickly as possible.
- Make sure you are monitoring the weather closely. As snow accumulates, remove it as fast as possible to eliminate hazardous conditions.
- De-ice sidewalks as they freeze to avoid slips and falls.
- Floor mats should be placed in entryways to keep floors dry and clean.
Check the Roof
While the roof is not an area that many think about when maintaining a building, it’s important to check it thoroughly for issues during the winter.
- Clear the roof of any snow as it piles high. You want to prevent ice dams and the possibility of snow accumulation that could cause leaks.
- Inspect the roof for loose shingles or other damage.
- If you notice heating costs have increased, check the insulation in the attic. Heat may be escaping the roof at higher than normal rates. Replace insulation as needed.
The reality is, winter is harsh, especially in Montana. At Alpha Omega Disaster Restoration we make it our job to help your business in its time of need. If you find yourself in an emergency situation during the winter months due to water damage, we’re standing by to help. Call us right away – our team is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.